A RESOLUTION OF THE GOVERNING BOARD OF DARLINGTON BOROUGH, PENNSYLVANIA, AUTHORIZING, EMPOWERING AND DIRECTING THE PROPER OFFICERS OF THE GOVERNING BOARD TO APPOINT A LIAISON BETWEEN IT AND BERKHEIMER, THE DULY APPOINTED COLLECTOR OF LOCAL TAXES FOR THE DISTRICT, FOR THE EXPRESS PURPOSE OF SHARING CONFIDENTIAL TAX INFORMATION WITH THE DISTRI.CT FOR OFFICIAL PURPOSES.
- WHEREAS, Act No. 511 of the 1965 General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (53 P.S. §6901 et seq.), enacted December 31, 1965, and effective January 1, 1966, authorizes certain political subdivisions, including DARLINGTON BOROUGH, BEAVER COUNTY, to provide for the creation of such bureaus or the appointment and compensation of such officers, clerks, collectors and other assistants and employees as may be deemed necessary for the assessment and collection of taxes imposed under the authority of that Act; and
- WHEREAS, Darlington Borough, Beaver County, has entered into contractual agreement with BERKHEIMER of Bangor, Pennsylvania, whereby; and whereunder CLIENT appointed Berkheimer to collect certain local taxes; and
- WHEREAS, said Act 511 specifically mandates that any information gained by the appointed tax officer, his agents or by any other official or agent of the taxing district, as a result of any declarations, returns, investigations, hearings or verifications required or authorized by the taxing municipality’s ordinance resolution, be kept confidential, except for official purposes; and
- WHEREAS, any person who divulges any information which is confidential under the provisions of any ordinance or resolution, upon conviction may be subject to fines and/or imprisonment, upon conviction, and dismissal from office or discharge from employment; and
- WHEREAS, Berkheimer requires passage of a resolution by the governing body of DARLINGTON BOROUGH, BEAVER COUNTY, specifying that said confidential information is needed for official purposes and absolving Berkheimer from any liability in connection with the release of said confidential information;
BE IT RESOLVED that:
- DARLINGTON BOROUGH, BEAVER COUNTY hereby appoints Holly Nicely as its authorized representative to make requests upon and receive any and all tax information and records from Berkheimer, relative to the collection of taxes for DARLINGTON BOROUGH, as desired and deemed necessary by DARLINGTON BOROUGH, to be used for official purposes only; and
- Berkheimer is hereby directed to provide and/or transmit any and all tax information and records, or any portion thereof, relating to the collection of taxes for DARLINGTON BOROUGH, upon request, to Holly Nicely as the authorized contact representative for it.
- DARLINGTON BOROUGH hereby saves harmless indemnifies and/or absolves Berkheimer from and against all liability in connection with the release of said confidential information
RESOLVED, ENACTED AND ADOPTED at a meeting held on the 3rd day of March, 2014.