Darlington Borough Logo  
 
 
Country United States
State: Pennsylvania
County: Beaver County
Population: 299 (2000)
Density: 3217.2/sq mi
Settled 1804
Incorporated 1820
 
An Institution established by Rev. Thomas Huges in 1802. The academy was created as a "prep" school for college. Classes included languages, philosophy, and astronomy. The stone structure was built around 1806, making it one of the oldest buildings still standing in Beaver County.
 
3/18/1819 - 10/10/1886
An American soldier and physician who served as a colonel and brigade commander in the Union Army during the Civil War. He attended Greersburg Academy in Darlington from 1838 to 1840. After, he spent time in medical school in Pittsburgh.
 
ORDINANCES FROM DARLINGTON

Ordinance #241

An Ordinance authorizing the purchase of a tract of land in the Township of Darlington, County of Beaver and State of Pennsylvania, for use as a site for the sewage disposal plant, and other municipal purposes.

Be it enacted and ordained by the Town Council of the Borough of Darlington, and it is hereby enacted and ordained by authority of the same.

Sec. 1.  That the Borough of Darlington does hereby purchase from George Howard Craft and Leah Mae Craft, his wife, for the consideration of Four Hundred Fifty ($450.00) Dollars, all that certain parcel of land situate in the Township of Darlington, County of Beaver and State of Pennsylvania, bounded and described as follows, to-wit:

  1. Beginning at the northeastern corner of the tract herein conveyed at a point formed by the intersection of the southern line of Thomas Alley, and the eastern line of Morris Street, if extended; thence southwardly along the line of other lands of George Howard Craft, south one degree, and thirty minutes, east two hundred sixty-six and sixty-nine hundredths (266.69) feet to a stake on lands of Charles and Mary Goll; thence along the lands of same.  South eighteen degrees, west one hundred forty-seven and ninety-two hundredths (147.92) feet to post on other lands of Charles and Mary Goll; thence along the lands of same.  North sixty-four degrees and forty-two minutes, west four hundred thirty and fifty-one hundredths (430.51) feet to a post on lands of L. J. Nicely; thence along lands of the same, north fifteen degrees and fifty-seven minutes.  East two hundred twenty-two and thirty-six hundredths (222.36) feet to a stake on the southern line of Thomas Alley; thence along the southern line of Thomas Alley:  North eighty-eight degrees and thirty minutes.  East three hundred sixth-seven and twenty-five hundredths (367.25) feet to the place of beginning.  Containing two and ninety-four hundredths (2.94) acres.

 

  1. Reserving, however, to the grantors, their heirs and assigns, the right and privilege of passageway along the east of the premises hereby conveyed to a width of fifty(50) feet, beginning on the south line of Thomas Alley and running in a southwardly direction of even width for a distance of two hundred sixty-six and sixty-nine hundredths (266.69) feet; thence containing southwardly there from, south eighteen degrees, 0 minutes, west one hundred forty-seven and ninety-two hundredths (147.92) feet to a point formed by the intersection of the premises hereby conveyed and lands of Charles T. and Mary Goll, together with the right of ingress, egress and regress over and along the same, in common with the grantee and the public.
  1. Being a part of the same premises conveyed to George Howard Craft, one of the grantors herein, by deed of Frank Thomas Peirce, a single man, by deed dated December 28, 1932, and recorded in the office for the record of deeds in and for the County of Beaver, Pennsylvania in Deed Book Volume 409, page 162.

 

Sec. 3.  The proper officers of the Borough of Darlington are authorized to do and perform all and every act incident to the purchase of the aforesaid tract of land.

Sec. 4.  The aforesaid land shall be used by the Borough for the purpose of erecting and construction thereon a sewage disposal plant, and for such other municipal purposes as the Town Council may from time to time determine.

All ordinances, or parts of ordinances, inconsistent with the provisions of this ordinance, be and the same are hereby repealed.

Enacted and ordained into an ordinance by the Town Council of the Borough of Darlington, this 2nd day of July A.D. 1934.

                                                            Borough of Darlington By,
                                                            Glenn H. Watterson, President of Council

Attest:                                                            Harry J. Derringer, Secretary of Council

July 2nd, 1934, examined and approved.

                                                            C. W. Peffer, Burgess

This site, all content and images are the property of the Borough of Darlington P.O. Box 8 #604 Morris St. Darlington, Pa. 16115 (724) 827-8818